Below is what you need to know.
- Increased loss of water and sodium: This is especially true if you are working out. Be sure to increase your sodium intake by 1-2 grams/day. An easy way to do this is by using a couple bouillon cubes or home made broth. You’ll be able to tell if you’re running short on sodium if you experience fatigue, headache. Depreciated sodium in your kidneys and blood can also lead to fainting and the loss of lean body mass— so shake that salt shaker.
- The Ketogenic Diet can result in increased activity, reduced sleeping, and reduced eating : There’s a lot you can inadvertently due to stress your body because of these changes, therefore, when magnesium levels fall your body can get very twitchy. It’s difficult to tell whether individuals are sufficient in magnesium because not much exists in our blood for tests to detect. Adequate magnesium intake helps a lot.
- Increase your dietary magnesium and potassium by preparing your food differently if supplements are not available: I used to think about increasing my potassium by eating a banana or drinking a gatorade. Neither of these will help you with your ketosis and will actually hinder it. In fact, there is enough potassium found in the meats you eat. If you tend to cook your meat to well done a lot of potassium is loss in the drippings. Consuming those drippings, steaming or boiling your vegetables will prevent all that good stuff from being lost.
- Fat is your friend and you need more Omega-3: Ketosis requires an impressive amount of fat in your diet and not all fats are made equal. This component to your diet is most important to your body as the primary energy source. Your body will prefer monounsaturated and saturated fat. However, you’ll need to limit your intake of Omega-6 polyunsaturated fat while increasing your Omega-3 intake. If you’re an American then there is a good likelihood you don’t get enough in the food you eat. Fish Oils are a great way to supplement this need. If your diet allows eggs you can also get Omega-3 enhanced eggs, and if you’re vegetarian there are even Omega-3 DHA produced from micro-algae.
- The right balance of sodium and potassium is critical for a successful Ketogenic Diet: Not doing this will diminish your functionality and you will fail at Ketosis.